Where can bitcoin be used is a commonly encountered question. There are thousands of merchants across the world that accept bitcoin as payment today.
N.B. Coinmap.org – an excellent organic and open directory listing of businesses around the world that accept bitcoin payments – is a brainchild of SatoshiLabs based on OpenStreetMap® licensed under the Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL) by the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF). If you currently run a business that accepts bitcoin payments, you may list it down on the map above at no cost. Start at the menu on the lower left corner of the map. See further below for other ways to get listed if you require assistance.
Businesses and Merchants that Accept Bitcoin Payment
To the surprise of most people new to cryptocurrencies, bitcoin can actually be used to purchase a myriad of goods and services and is accepted as a payment method by numerous merchants and service providers around the world.
As of February 2015, over 100,000 merchants worldwide have begun accepting bitcoin as payment for their goods and services, as reported by International Business Times. The number in 2017 was closer to a million.
Due to the low fees charged for bitcoin transactions, merchants find bitcoin payments to be acceptable. Some merchants who are speculating in bitcoin would be happy to receive payments in bitcoin without immediately converting them to dollars, and may offer a discount at the same time to encourage bitcoin spending.
In certain countries, discount offers and GST exemptions have been given for payments made in bitcoin. The following video is an example of buying a cup of coffee at Starbucks using bitcoin.
The following is a list of some of these companies and establishments (with references) by the industry. Some of the references are taken from a number of years back and may or may no longer be relevant. You are advised to check with the company’s bitcoin acceptance status before the purchase of goods and services.
FOOD & BEVERAGE
- Starbucks ( References: 1 | 2 | 3 )
- Subway ( References: 1 | 2 | 3 )
- The Pink Cow, Japan ( References: 1 | 2 )
- Pembury Tavern, London ( References: 1 | 2 )
- Old Fitzroy, Sydney ( References: 1 | 2 )
TRAVEL & HOLIDAY
- Expedia ( References: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
- CheapAir.com ( References: 1 )
- Ships & Trips Travel ( References: 1 )
- Amazon.com ( References: 1 | 2 )
- Overstock.com ( References: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
- Newegg.com ( References: 1 | 2 )
- Fiverr.com ( References: 1 | 2 ) – stopped in Jan 2017
- eGifter ( References: 1 )
- Square ( Reference: 1 | 2 | 3 )
- Paypal ( References: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
- eBay ( References: 1 | 2 | 3 )
- Dell ( References: 1 | 2 | 3 )
- Microsoft ( References: 1 | 2 )
- Wikipedia ( References: 1 )
- Chicago Sun-Times ( References: 1 | 2 )
- SEOclerks.com ( References: 1 )
How to Add My Business to the Listing Above
If your business has recently begun accepting bitcoin payment or if you know of any business which does but is not listed above, you may write in and inform us about it so that we may update the directory above to include your business. Kindly also provide the business website as well as any reference page that describe to that effect, e.g. your business FAQ page, news articles etc.
Listing of businesses on Coinmap.org at the top of this page may be done by yourself for free. However, if you require our assistance to list your business on the map on your behalf, please send the following details of your business to us by email:
- business trade name
- business address, including unit number, street name, postcode, city and country
- business contact number
- business email address
- business website url
- business social media addresses at Facebook and Twitter (if any)
We would appreciate a donation of any amount which can be sent at our Donation Page. Kindly note that this is absolutely voluntary and based on good will.
Where to Buy Bitcoin
Bitcoin is easily purchased anywhere in the world through exchanges and individual traders and brokers. For a complete directory listing of exchanges and brokers from around the world, see Exchange Directory Listing by Country and register an account with one closest to your location.