We begin by setting up the Blockchain App Wallet on your smartphone [B1], completing the security settings [B2] and then as an option, accessing the browser wallet and logging in using the Blockchain App Wallet on your smartphone [B3].
Installing Blockchain App Wallet on Smartphone
Follow the instructions below to download and install the Blockchain wallet app on your smartphone.
App Name: Blockchain Wallet: Bitcoin
If you’re reading this on your computer, search for Blockchain Wallet on your smartphone’s App Store | Google Play. Verify that it matches the developer name stated above.
If you’re reading this on your smartphone, click below to download and install Blockchain Wallet directly from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android) on your smartphone:
- Launch the Blockchain App Wallet on your smartphone. Click on Create a Wallet [🅐].
- On the next screen, fill up your email address [🅑].
Use a personal and private (not work) email address, and choose a strong secure password (e.g. a combination of small letters, capital letters, numbers and special characters) that you can remember easily.
- Choose a secure password [🅒] for your wallet. Retype your password to confirm it is correct.
As you type your password, the app shows how weak, regular or strong your password is. A combination of alphabets, numbers and special characters creates a strong password, but more importantly, make sure it is a password you can remember.
- Click on Done [🅓] to drop the keyboard.
- Click on Create Wallet [🅔] and wait as your wallet loads [🅕].
- On the next screen, iPhone users can opt to save the password in your Keychain [🅖].
It is not recommended to save your password in your Keychain, but you may do so at your discretion.
- Create a 4-digit PIN [🅗].
- Confirm your 4-digit PIN [🅘].
- Optional for iOS: Click on OK [🅙] to enable Face ID for quicker login.
You can select Not Now to disable this feature. On other phone models, fingerprint login may be an option if that biometric security feature is available.
- Congratulations! You have arrived at your Blockchain App Wallet home screen and have completed the installation of a new wallet. You can take a quick tour of your wallet if you wish by clicking Tell Me More [🅚]. If not, click Maybe Later.
We’re not quite done yet. Next, we fortify the security level of your wallet!
Security Settings and Configuration
You will need to complete the following compulsory steps below to ensure your wallet is set to the highest security setting possible.
- Click on the Menu icon [🅛].
- Click on Backup Funds [🅜].
- Click on Start Backup [🅝].
- The 12 words that are presented to you in sequential order (also known as the seed phrase) represent the private key to your wallet.
- Write these words in their given order down on a piece of paper or notebook, or any other offline record document and keep it at a safe and private location.
- Do not record this seed phrase on your computer, smartphone, email, cloud or any other online forms of record. If your device is breached or hacked, anyone with this seed phrase will have complete access to your wallet funds, and can spend them all at will or transfer them to another wallet.
- Whatever method of record you choose, ensure that it cannot be easily stolen or viewed. The seed phrase is everything when it comes to the security of your wallet and the access to your funds in it should anything go wrong.
- Once you’re done, go back to the main menu.
- Click on Settings [🅞].
- Under Profile, click on Email [🅟] to register a valid email address to link to your wallet to receive notifications of payment alerts, ID reminders and login codes.
- Click on Mobile Number [🅠] to register a valid mobile number to receive alerts and two-factor authentication.
- Under Preferences, slide the switch whether to receive or not receive Email Notifications [🅡].
- Click on Local Currency [🅢] to choose a preferred currency other than the U.S. Dollar.
However, in most instances, it is ideal to think of your BTC holdings in U.S. Dollars.
- Swipe down to Security and turn on 2-Step Verification [🅣].
If you have not registered your mobile number in Step 5 above, you will need to do it here. A special code will be sent to you by SMS as a 2-step verification when you log in in the future.
- Ignore Backup phrase if you have already done so in Step 2 above.
- Slide the switch to disable or Enable Face ID [🅤]. Go back to wallet home screen.
That’s it! Your wallet is now ready for use.
All other settings not mentioned above can be ignored for now.
As an option, if you would like to access your wallet on a web browser at any time, see B3 below.
Pairing with Blockchain Web Wallet on Computer
If you would like to view your wallet on a web browser (Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.), continue with the steps below.
Important: For this to work, your computer (laptop/desktop) must have a camera.
- Click on https://www.blockchain.com/ to open this on a new browser tab.
- Click on Login [🅥] at the top of the page.
- On the next screen, click on Login via Mobile [🅦].
- Log in to your Blockchain Wallet on your smartphone and;
- click on the Menu icon [🅛].
- Click on Settings and under Profile, click on Log in to Web Wallet [🅧].
- On the next screen, click on Show QR Code [🅨].
Make sure the QR code is aligned squarely on the camera of the computer. Just hold the QR code in place for about 3 to 5 seconds, and remove the phone (even though it appears like the computer is not responding). The browser will take a further few seconds to log in.
In Send and Receive Bitcoin, we learn how to put our Blockchain App Wallet on our smartphone to use as we play the roles of recipient and sender of a bitcoin transaction.